We fought for our independence and to this day fight for the right to be individuals. The question is: Are we doing it? Are we being as independent as we say we are? I will admit we all need help sometimes; but before we ask for the help, did we really try and give it our all? We live in such an instant-gratification world that if anything doesn’t come to us right away or something doesn’t work immediately we throw our hands up and say, “Help me!” Stop right there. There isn’t just one way to do things and you CAN do anything you put your mind to.
Have we become so afraid of judgment and the need to fit in, that we can’t make our own decisions? We have to post our entire life on social media (Yes, I know it sounds weird coming from someone who’s career only exists because of social media. It is all about reality vs. a digital life). If we don’t get the number of “likes” we want, that must mean no one likes us and that it isn’t a good picture – quick take it down. The Fear Of Missing Out (referred to as FOMO) has created people who don’t know what they actually do and do not like and who don’t know who they really are. Have we come so far into the future that we actually are the robots they predicted? I don’t know about you but I am not quite ready to be a robot.
Here are some quick and easy ways to keep from becoming animatronic:
1. Make your own decisions. You don’t have to ask other people what they think. You are you and they are them. Be you and own it.
2. If you don’t like something, say it. If you do like something, do it. Pretty easy right?
3. Try new things. Push your comfort level and and maybe you will find your calling.
4. Don’t hide! Let your freak-flag fly. Who is the decider that your flag is freaky anyway?
5. Make your dreams come true. Don’t be scared to do what it takes to make your dreams a reality. Make that move and live!