Being able to be alone is not something everyone likes and/or wants; however, when you give yourself time for you, the results can blow your mind. You might be saying to yourself, why would I want to spend time alone? Well, knowing your body, soul and mind allows you to connect with yourself in ways that you didn’t know were possible. This results in a healthier, happier version of the incredible person you already are.
Listen, I totally get it that you’re not going to read this article and suddenly your life is going to be 100% turned around. You’re not going to go around floating on a cloud of health and happiness right away. What I do hope, is that these easy steps will lead you to the person that you always wanted to be. If you’re saying, “I’m already the me I want” – then, congratulations! Go out in the world, get your eyes off of the internet and live!
If you are interested — lets start your journey! These easy steps will get you on the road to a new and improved you!
Before any good life change there are two things that need to be done first…
Step 1: Home
A clean home is a happy home and a happy home leads to a happier, more productive you. With that said, our first step together is to start from scratch. One room at a time, starting where you spend the most time to the least. Dump the items in that room, completely out and only put back the essentials you can’t live without. Everybody’s essential items will be different. Think about what means most to you and what you need in your life.
Step 2: Meditation
Have a place to meditate. Mediation is a great way to not only gather your thoughts, but a way to take all the stress you’ve acquired and let it go. It is the first thing that you should do for yourself everyday – or as often as you can. Some people; however, find it better to mediate after a long day, to wind down. Meditation is unique to each individual and needs to be done in a way that works best for you.
Now that you are set and ready to go, the first step in being OK alone is to make a list for yourself:
1. What makes you happy?
This should be something that puts an instant smile on your face.
2. What are your hobbies?
Your hobby is a stress reliever that you love to do!
3. What have you always wanted to do?
Make a bucket list!
Cross off anything on the list that might stress you out? Stress is not only dangerous to your health but your face. So, lets find a way to elevate it. Look at your list and find the ones that match. For example if music makes you happy and you have always wanted to play the guitar, guitar lessons can become a new hobby!
Here are a few easy ways to make “you” time:
- Make yourself a meal the way you would if you had company. When we are alone we tend to take the easy way out, such as going to fast food restaurants or throwing together a microwavable meal. I know that sometimes you just don’t want to take the time to make a full meal, so, meal prepping can help on those nights. Even then, enjoy your food and enjoy the time with yourself.
- Take a walk and look at the world around you. Life can get so hectic sometimes that we forget or miss the things we really love right in front of us.
- Turn off your phone for even just one hour. It is OK to not be on-call 24/seven and to miss a call. That’s why they invented voicemail. The time that you spend giving to others is also as equally important to give to yourself. I am not saying to not give to others, I am just saying to give to yourself too.
- Take a day off from social media and spend it doing something from your list. There is so much time spent liking photos, sharing pins and cyber stalking your exes from high school that you’re going to look up one day and your hair hasn’t been washed and you forgot to shave your legs (Ahh! Sorry for the visual). Be the one that has the pictures that make the hairy-legged, crazy bun-girl jealous. Oh, and while you’re at it tell her to read this article.
- Go see that movie you want to see that no one wants to go to! In reality you don’t talk at the movies anyway, so who cares. Unless, you are one of those annoying people that waits to open their candy until right when the movie starts and then asks who the actors are the whole time. If this is you, for the sake of movie-goers everywhere – rent.